Reverend Dr. R. B. Holmes, Jr.
• Central Florida Junior College (A.A.)
• Malone College, Canton, Ohio (B.A.)
• Methodist Theological Seminary,
Delaware, Ohio (M.A.)
• Virginia Union University
Richmond, VA (Doctor of Ministry)
The Ministry for God’s Glory
• Thirty-seven years in the ministry: Pastor of First Timothy Baptist Church of Jacksonville, FL, for 10 years (1976-1986)
• Presently, Pastor of Bethel Missionary Baptist Church for 27 years (1986-present) – one of the leading and largest churches in Florida with approximately 5,000 members
• Spiritual leader of forty intergenerational, family- based ministries: Christian Education, Music & Performing Arts, Infants, Children, Youth, Singles, Married Couples, Young Adults, Collegiates, Retirees, Military, Men’s, Promise, Women’s, Young Mothers Mentoring, Girl Scouts, Africare, Haiti, Homeless, Veterans Outreach, etc.
• Founder and Executive Officer of Bethel Christian Academy (1992); Steele-Collins Charter Middle School (1996); Steele-Collins All Male Charter Academy (2013); Bethel Family Restaurant (1996); Bethel Family Counselling Center (2006); Bethel Strip Mall (1996), etc.
• Led the Building of Bethel Towers (2000,) providing housing for senior citizens; Bethel Family Life Center (1999); Carolina Oaks Subdivision (2007); “Water Well” in Caliquesse, Guinea Bissau, West Africa (1993); Bethel Christian Academy II (The Bong Rong) in Mong Pong Village of the Ashanti Region, Ghana/West Africa (2007); Haiti Rehabilitation Facility, Pignon, Haiti, for earthquake victims (2009)
• Significantly increased Bethel’s land acquisitions, including the purchase of the Wadsworth Property in 2004 (approximately 3.5 acres) and the “Bethel House” (1997), a project with Habitat for Humanity), etc.
• Appointed by Governor Bob Graham: Florida Education Commission
• Appointed by Governor Bob Martinez: Florida President, One Church, One Child
• Appointed by Governor Jeb Bush: Judiciary Commission and Florida A&M University Board of Trustees
• Appointed by Governor Charlie Crist: Florida A&M University Board of Trustees
• Appointed by Governor Rick Scott Co-Chair, Task Force on Citizen Safety and Protection
• Served on United Way Board of Directors
• Big Bend Hospice: Board of Directors
• Past National President: One Church-One Child
• NAACP & SCLC
• Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
• Past member of the Chamber of Commerce of
• President and Founder of the National Save the Family Now Movement, Inc.
• Chairperson, National Anti-Hazing/Anti-Violence Task Force
• Chairperson, Tallahassee Chapter, National Action Network
• Past President of Region Two/Southeast of the National Newspaper Publishers Association /NNPA (includes the states of Florida, Virginia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama)
• Past- President of the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education (1999-2009), an Auxiliary of the 7.5 million member National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
• Member, Board of Trustees for three Historically •Black Colleges and Universities
o Currently on the Board of Trustees of Florida Memorial University, Miami Gardens, Fl; Edward Waters College, Jacksonville, FL; Malone University, Canton, OH
o Formerly served on the Board of Trustees of Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, FL, for eight years
• President and CEO of Live Communications, Inc. (Parent Company of the Capital Outlook Newspaper); Radio Station Owner of WTAL 1450 AM & WOCY FM 106.5 FM
• Son of the late Deacon and Mrs. R. B. (Lucille Johnson) Holmes, Sr.
• Married to Dr. Gloria Price Holmes
• Father of three; grandfather of three
Author: The Private Christian School in the African American Church: It Is Needed
Contributing Author: Marriage Matters:
It’s God’s Will and Singles: Strengthened, Secured and Spirit-Filled